While we’re not going to ask you, dear readers, to go Vegetarian, there has been plenty of research by medical professionals that show reducing the amount of meat in your diet – even if it’s only for one day, such as Meatless Monday can have excellent benefits for your overall health.
We’re also not going to get into ethics or environmental impacts – but we will put out this little tidbit – these recipes are healthy, easy to make, and delicious.
Give them a try if you’re in a pinch, want to mix up your diet, or have a guest coming over with dietary restrictions. Enjoy!
1. Green soup with yogurt and nuts
Think of this soup as an alternative to a salad in summer, as it’s pretty much the same ingredients: low-fat, high in fiber, vitamin C, calcium and folate. Plus, it’s pretty yummy!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 cubed medium potato
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 120g of mixed salad greens, watercress, rocket, and spinach work best
- 150g natural yogurt
- 20g toasted pine nuts
- Serves 2
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a saucepan, add the onion and soften slowly but do not brown, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the stock and potato chunks and continue to simmer for up to 12 minutes or until the potatoes are soft enough to blend.
- Add the greens and let them wilt in the water for 1 minute.
- Time to blend! Use a machine or stick blender to whizz up the ingredients, until it becomes a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Serve in bowls with a dollop of natural yogurt on each and a sprinkling of toasted pine nuts.
- Original recipe found here.