Vertigo is a condition in which you feel that everything around is moving and spinning when, in fact, everything is still. In some cases, you may also sweat heavily, feel like you want to vomit and find it difficult to walk normally. This condition is caused by various diseases, including Meniere’s disease, benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, and inner ear inflammation, but can also happen in healthy people when they spend a long time on a moving ship or after they’ve spun around for a time with closed eyes. Here are ten home remedies for vertigo.
1. Epley Maneuver
The Epley maneuver is powerful in helping people who suffer from vertigo. It’s especially useful if the individual is affected with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, helping them recover more quickly. It’s also considered safe and doesn’t cause any serious harm or unwanted side effects. This maneuver should be repeated three times per day, and the best time is before you go to sleep at night. You may feel dizzy while performing the maneuver, so it may be better to have someone help you with the movements.
Follow these steps:
- Sit down on a bed or a comfortable sofa
- Turn your head 45 degrees to the side of the ear affected with vertigo.
- Put a pillow behind you and lie back for 30 seconds so that the pillow is under your shoulders.
- Turn your head 90 degrees to the opposite side, but make sure you don’t raise it. Remain in this position for 10 seconds.
- Turn your body 90 degrees to the same side you turned your head, but make sure not to change the position of your head while doing so. Remain in this position for 30 seconds.
- Start to slowly sit up and bring your head back to its normal position.